Types of dishes made from beef are always everywhere, almost in all regions of the world, and one that you can make very easily and simply is beef stew, more precisely homemade beef stew recipe. This cuisine is perfect for lunch or dinner, especially with the weather being quite cold. To cook beef stew, the time needed for preparation does not spend your precious time, just 40 to 60 minutes, with ingredients that are very easy to find in traditional markets or supermarkets. My meeting with this food can be said accidentally.
Food inspired by the movie Hateful Eight directed by Quentin Tarantino. In the film, there is one dish that is interesting and I want to try, it’s called BEEF STEW. This dish is not popular in Indonesia, but enough to make me wonder what it tastes like, and it turns out the cooking method is easy and very rich! Tender beef and vegetable pieces because they are cooked for about 2 hours. I really recommend this recipe to try.
What I Love Most About This Recipe
- Different sensations of enjoying beef with a mixture of ingredients that are not troublesome
- Soft beef, because it’s cooked long enough
- Can be explored with some additional vegetables, mushrooms or meatballs
How to Make a Homemade Beef Stew Recipe:
For a homemade beef stew recipe, I will do a little exploration with some additional traditional spices, with a little Indonesian flavor, but not leave the original flavor. I will try to give you a reference to eating meat for a portion of 6 people. If you want to make similar dishes with a portion of fewer than 6 people or more, you can just adjust the size of beef and vegetables (potatoes, carrots, peppers, or sausages) according to your forecast.
Note: the most important thing is that the cooking time should 2 hours, (depending on the number of servings desired, if 1-2 servings take two hours. the 4-6 portion takes four to five hours) use a non-stick pan with a size that is not too big or small, use the medium one.
Homemade Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of vegetable oil
- 2 lb (900 g) of beef boiled, cut into 1 inch (2.5-cm) square-shaped pieces
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) black pepper
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of paprika
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of English soy sauce
- 1 onion, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) of beef broth
- 3 potatoes, cut into boxes
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 celery stick, cut into pieces
- Heat oil. Pour oil and heat it on the stove over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, make sure that your beef and vegetables are prepared.
- Beef must be cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) dice-shaped pieces. You can usually find pieces of boiled pork that have been cut previously in the meat area at the grocery store/supermarket, but if not, you can cut the chuck roast or bottom round yourself.
- Garlic must be pounded. If using onions that have been pounded before, use ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml). If using onion powder, use 1/8 teaspoon (0.625 ml).
- Onions and celery must be chopped roughly.
- You can use 3 large baked potatoes or 6 to 9 baby potatoes.
- Use 4 standard carrots or 2 cups (500 ml) baby carrots.
- Coat beef with flour, salt, and pepper. Mix flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add beef to the mixture and coat it with a spice mixture.
- Make sure the flour, salt, and pepper are thoroughly mixed before adding beef to it.
- Stir the beef well so that the whole side of the cut is covered. Make sure there is no flour left afterward.
- Covering beef in flour will make it brown better and produce thicker beef stew if it's finished cooking.
- Cook beef until it's brown. Transfer the coated beef to hot oil in your cauldron. Cook for a few minutes without being covered and stir regularly until all sides are brown.
- This step is optional, so you can skip it if you don't have a lot of time. However, most people choose to do so to create a more diverse taste. In addition, this action prevents oil from accumulating in your pan.
- Place the ingredients of the decoction of beef in the slow cooker. Move the cow into the pan. Cover with potatoes, carrots, celery, and garlic on top. Add bay leaves, peppers, and soy sauce, then pour the beef broth overall.
- The exact order of the ingredients is not very important. However, for the best results, beef, potatoes, and carrots must be the bottom three layers because these materials require the most heat to mature. Remember that the heating element of the pan is located at the bottom.
- Cook with low heat for 3 to 4 hours. You can also cook this stew over high heat for less than three hours.
- Keep the pot closed during cooked beef stew. Slow cookers need to build heat for cooking properly, and heat will not wake up if the lid is lifted or opened during the cooking process.
- Serve hot. Remove the bay leaves when done and transfer the warm beef stew into the serving bowl.
- Keep the pan in a low or warm fire until everyone has tasted your homemade beef stew recipe.
- Calories (657) Calories from Fat 331
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat 37.6g 58%
- Saturated Fat 15.5g 78%
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 111.6mg 37%
- Sodium 2,729.9mg 114%
- Potassium 1,142.8mg 33%
- Total Carbohydrate 47.9g 16%
- Dietary Fiber 7.3g 29%
- Sugars 6.2g
- Protein 34.2g 68%
Vitamin A 136% | Vitamin C 22% | Calcium 7% | Iron 23% | Thiamin 32% | Riboflavin 24% | Vitamin B6 43% | Vitamin B12 41% | Niacin 41% | Magnesium 20% | Phosphorus 36% | Zinc 43% | Copper 26% | Pantothenic Acid 14%