You can make homemade chicken noodle soup at home easily. This is the most popular recipe at all. You just needs chicken and egg noodle then put them into the pot alongside broth, vegetables, seasonings, and additional ingredients. Chicken soup is known as delicious dish to keep the body warm from harsh cold and flu. Furthermore, the recipe has been in the family since several generations. How do you make this soup? The next section will provide the list of ingredients and cooking instructions.
- 2 tbsps. olive oil
- 1-2 cup peeled carrots, sliced thin and more if necessary
- 1-2 cup celery, about 2-3 stalks
- 1 cup yellow onion or sweet Vidalia, diced small or onion as alternative
- 2 garlic minced cloves,
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth,
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme or dried one
- 1/2 tsp. oregano, dried
- 1 tsp. pepper to taste
- 12 ounces egg noodles or pasta
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or rotisserie chicken; or roasted one
- 3-4 tbsps. parsley leaves, fresh flat-leaf and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- One pinch salt
- Prepare stockpot and put oil then heat at medium level.
- Put celery, carrots, and onion then sauté for 5 to 7 minutes. After that, put garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth and stir slowly.
- Add oregano, thyme, bay leaves, and pepper. Boil them and slowly stir for 5 minutes.
- Add noodles and cooked again until they turn tender and properly cooked. Pour one-cup water if the broth is too thick.
- Put chicken, lemon juice, and parsley then mix them for the next 2 minutes. Simmer for a moment and add salt for balancing the taste.
- Cook until the chicken is properly soft and ready to serve.
From the list of ingredients for homemade chicken noodle soup, you do not need to put all of them. Thyme and lemon juice are optional. You may reduce one or two seasonings then add more vegetables. As long as the recipe still has chicken and noodle, the rest of ingredients will be easy to adjust.
Original recipe takes more than one hour because you need to cook the chicken and prepare its broth. In this recipe, both procedures are done because you already cooked the chicken as leftover. As alternative, homemade chicken noodle soup is also eligible with chicken that you purchase at store. This is the best way to shorten the cooking time. Canned chicken already have flavor and no more salt to put into soup. For the broth, you can also get it from store, and it already has low-sodium content. This is healthier way to prevent more pepper or salt. You can add more broth if you want the soup to be strong flavored. On contrary, water will soothe the thickness if you do not like the excess broth.
You can try with other similar products beside egg noodle. Pasta is alternative that brings different taste. Just put noodles before chicken or at the same time together while stirring soup. Both ingredients are very tender, so avoid homemade chicken noodle soup to be overcooked.