If you feel bored of tasting the usual plain white rice, you can try to make this Mexican rice recipe. This Mexican rice is suitable for all kind of Mexican dish. You can enjoy it with burritos, taquitos, or tacos. Furthermore, you can also make this recipe with vegetables for more nutrition. Some good pairs of vegetable are carrots and peas. Besides, chicken also turns up so well if you mixed it in this rice. However, the following recipe will only use the simplest ingredients. You can add anything you want and add it as you like.
- 1 cup white rice (long grain)
- 2 tsp canola or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp Calde de Tomate tomato bouillon
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 16 ounces warm water
- To make this Mexican rice recipe, first you need to prepare a 5 quart pan. Heat the canola or vegetable oil at medium high heat.
- Second, add the rice and cook it. Stir the rice constantly for some minutes. Keep stirring until the rice turns into golden color.
- To avoid splattering, reduce the heat. Then pour the warm water and the tomato sauce. Stir them well. Next, add the chili powder, minced garlic, and Calde deTomate. Mix them well
- Turn the heat to medium high again. Boil the rice. After it has boiled, reduce the heat and cover it with a lid. It is suggested to use a clear lid. With it, you will be able to check whether the rice is done or not easily.
- Simmer it for about 20 minutes. If you still have some liquid left in the pan after 20 minutes, you can let it get cooked. Take it off from the stove when the water has been absorbed and there is no more bubbling to the top.
- After you turn off the heat, let the rice sit first for about 5 up to10 minutes. Fluff the rice by using a wooden spoon or a fork.
- Finally, this delicious Mexican rice recipe is ready to be enjoyed.
This recipe uses Calde de Tomate as one of its ingredients. If this ingredient is so hard for you to find, you can use chicken bouillon as the substitution. For another substitution, you can also use chicken stock to replace the water. The taste might have slight different, as the substitution could not give you the same taste of tomato. However, it can give you delicious taste of rice in the end.
For more tips, you may need to consider the pan you use for cooking this recipe. Please use nonstick sauté pan with good quality. By using it, the rice will not get sticks. Furthermore, the sides are also higher; therefore, the rice will not get overboard when you stir it. Please take a note that you should never use stainless steel pans to cook rice, including making this Mexican rice recipe.