Have you ever taste or make orange Julius recipe before? If the answer is no, it is a goodtime for you to try this sweet treat. Orange Julius uses orange juice concentrate and milk as its main ingredient. It tastes sweet and smooth. However, it is different to the kinds of smoothie. Even though it uses milk, it does not have milky or thick texture like milkshake. It is lightly frozen and probably similar to Creamside.
This orange Julius recipe was found by Julius Freed in the mid-1920s. At that time in Los Angeles, Julius open an orange juice stand. However, it does not grow well then he tried with a new recipe. That was how this Orange Julius was born and became many people’s favorite. If you are curious about the ingredients and steps, here they are.
- 16 ounce can orange juice concentrate, frozen
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 ½ cup ice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- The first step in making this orange Julius recipe is blending the vanilla extract and the milk. Pour them in the blender and pulse them until well combined
- Second, add the frozen orange juice concentrate. Continue blending until it is combined well with the milk.
- Then, add the sugar and the ice cubes. Make sure that all the cubes are crushed. Blend it until the mixture gets thickened. If you feel that it is too thick, you can add a tablespoon of water then continue mixing it.
- Finally, pour the result of this orange Julius into glasses. You can serve it with a straw and a slice of orange at the top edge of the glass for decoration.
The ingredients used in this recipe are so easy to find. However, if you want to make it right away and do not have all of them by now, do not worry. There are some good substitutions you can use. First, whole milk can be replaced with 2% milk or skim milk. Both of them can give delicious and fresh taste.
Next, if you do not have any orange juice concentrate, you can just freeze a fresh orange juice. Freeze it until it is in the form of ice cubes. You can also pour it in a 8 x 8 size pan and keep it I the freezer. When you want to use it, break it to some chunks.
Making the orange juice into perfect cubes is important. This orange Julius will only work and taste good if there is enough iciness. If you just freeze it but does not make it to cubes and choose to add more ice when blending it, the result would not be the same. You will get different texture and have more soupy juice with less flavor. The above orange Julius recipe goes for two serving. If you have special occasion and want to serve this drink for more people, you can double the amount.