One of favorite things to make at home is egg roll recipe. For your information, this recipe has many variations, from simple to completely out of the box ideas. However, this recipe only covers the basic that’s enough to deliver ultimate flavor.
What is egg roll? It is food originally from Asia, mostly China that looks like dumpling as it’s wrapper with filling. The key to this recipe is in filling and egg roll wrapper that you can purchase at store. If you start everything from completely raw wrapper, it will take a day just until the recipe is ready to serve. Therefore, egg roll recipe will rely on wrapper products at store that you will find in refrigerated area.
- 1 pound pork, ground
- Pepper and salt to taste
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. minced ginger
- 2 tsps. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 12 or more egg roll wrappers
- 1 beaten egg
- 3-4 cups coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- More oil for deep fry
- Heat vegetable oil in pan at medium level.
- Add pork alongside the salt and pepper.
- Cook and break the pork with spatula.
- After the pork turns brown, add ginger and garlic then continue cooking for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the green onions and coleslaw mix. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Pour soy sauce and stir it then add sesame oil and turn down the heat. The filling is done.
- Take 2-3 tablespoons of filling to put onto each wrapper. Fold according to instruction in package. Use beaten egg to pin and seal the edges.
- Pour oil into pot and make sure to be 2-3 inch. Heat to 350 degrees.
- Fry egg rolls 3-4 at a time then turning slowly to make equal and brown texture. Cook for 3-5 minutes or more if you need crispy texture.
- Drain the egg rolls on paper towels and serve alongside dipping sauce.
Egg roll recipe starts from cooking its filling before wrapping. In general, you may do not need to do this step, but as the result, the filling will less flavor. Without cooked filling, deep-frying will take longer that may ruin the wrapper because it is too browned. That’s why you should only fry less than 5 minutes and maximum is 7 minutes to avoid overcook.
The filling can also be replaced with other ingredients as long as they are compatible to derive great flavor. For people who not fond of pork, chicken and beef are the right alternatives. Some vegetables are suitable to put as extra filling. Moreover, some recipes don’t use meat but shrimp and fish. As it mentioned above, this recipe is flexible enough to expand based on what you.
After the egg rolls are done, prepare dipping sauce. You may try chili sauce with sweet or sour taste. Both create excellent flavor to blend. Besides deep-frying, another cooking method is y baking or grilling. You may try both with the basic ingredients of egg roll recipe.