This best scone recipe will definitely change the tone of your usual Scones. There are so many variations of Scones out there that everyone will claim that they are the best. To be honest, there is no top recipe for scones, but there is the best variety of scone, which is the delicious fluffy English scone. A twist to the usual biscuit like crunch; English scones are incredibly soft but still resembles the usual biscuit look of authentic Scottish scones. To start making it, here are the ingredients you need to prepare.
- All-purpose flour, 10 ounces or 2 cups
- Baking powder, 4 tablespoons
- Salt, 1/2 tablespoon
- Sugar, 1/4 cup
- Unsalted room temperature butter, 6 tablespoons
- Whole milk, 2/3 cup
- One large egg
- Begin by preheating the oven to 425° Fahrenheit
- Plug in your food processor, then put the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder inside. Pulse it a few times until it’s combined evenly
- Add the unsalted butter into the mix and pulse for 7 or more times until it’s combined completely. Note that you must not have chunks of butter left in this best scone recipe and you should have a sandy textured mix. Transfer it to the large mixing bowl
- Using the small bowl whisk the egg and milk together. Save 2 tablespoons for the egg wash and pour the remaining mixture into the large mixing bowl with the dry ingredients mixture.
- Stir until it’s combined evenly and until it forms into rough dough.
- Spread flour lightly on your countertop then transfer the dough onto it. Knead about 10 times until the roughness is gone and it comes together into a smooth ball. In this best scone recipe, you shouldn’t knead the dough too much to prevent it from getting really tough. If the dough is tough then it won’t rise as high and won’t be as fluffy as this recipe intended.
- Roll the dough until it’s an inch thick. Then cut using 2.5” cutter you can cut around 7 circles of dough. Re-roll the cut circles and cut out another two.
- Place the cut scones onto the baking tray, in which the tray is already lined with parchment or a silicone mat. Brush the top of the scones with your egg wash.
- Bake the scones for 13-15 minutes until you see the dough tripling its height. When you see the golden brown color on the tops and bottoms, take it out and enjoy!
There are few notes regarding this recipe if you’re making it by hand. You can mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix in the butter with a hand mixer. Then, if you measured the flour 2 cups exactly, you should also weigh it to make sure you got the right amount. Lastly, for this best scone recipe, the dough should be sticky and just enough to be workable without using too much flour to soften it.