Baked potato soup is a comfort food. It is warm, smooth, and delicious. Sometimes, the dish is also served as appetizer. It is just like a regular potato soup, but the potato to make this soup is already baked. There are many ways in making the dish. However, the best way of making it is going to be explained down below. Here they are.
- 4 medium-sized russet potato, washed properly
- 1 large-sized white onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 225 gr cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 100 gr cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- 100 gr chopped fresh chives
- The process of making a bowl of baked potato soup begins by preheating oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit or 220 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
- Prepare a baking sheet. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- Put all the potatoes in a large bowl. Drizzle olive oil on top of the potatoes. Add in salt and freshly ground black pepper. Rub them to the potatoes until all of potatoes are covered evenly with the seasoning.
- Arrange the seasoned potatoes on the lined baking sheet and put them in the oven to cook for 50-60 minutes.
- After the potato is cooked through and softened, take them out of the oven. Let them cool for 30 minutes.
- If it is cooled, peel all the potatoes. Then, put the peeled potatoes into a large bowl and mash them with potato masher until soft and creamy. Set it aside.
- Prepare a large cooking pot. Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil in it and heat the pot in medium-high.
- Then, add in diced onion and minced garlic. Cook for 5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- After that, add the unsalted butter and cook for a minute until the butter is fully melted.
- Add in all-purpose flour then stir until everything in the pot is browned slightly.
- Pour the cream cheese and chicken broth. Stir until the cream cheese is fully incorporated with the broth.
- Add the mashed potatoes then stir until the soup is boiling and done.
- Give it a taste. Adjust the taste with pepper and salt.
- Pour the soup into a serving bowl. On top of the soup, sprinkle shredded cheese, chives, and diced bacon.
- The baked potato soup is ready. Serve it immediately.
The recipe is just so easy that everyone can try. When you make the dish, make sure you do not discard the baked potato skin. Instead of throwing them away, you can make chips or other snacks using potato peeling. Besides baked potato soup, you will have a big bowl of potato skin chips. They are all delicious and surely worth trying.