If you need an idea for dinner, just try to make beef and broccoli. The recipe is easy to prepare and to do. You just need about 30 minutes to make it. Moreover, the taste is also delicious and nutritious as well. This food will be a pleasure for those who fond of Chinese food flavor. Here are the ingredients and steps to follow.
- 1 ½ lbs steak, sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp water
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
For the sauce
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp sesame oil, toasted
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- To begin making this beef and broccoli recipe, the first step is slicing the flank steak against the grain thinly.
- Second, prepare a large bowl and whisk oyster sauce, cornstarch, water and baking soda. Mix it completely and add the sliced meat. C oat the meat fully and set it aside.
- Take another bowl and whisk all the ingredients to make the sauce. Set it aside
- Heat a large skillet at medium high heat. Next, add canola oil and then followed by the flank steak. To prevent the pan crowding, you need to work in batches. Continue cooking until the beef gets brown at the bottom (around 2 minutes). Stir then continue cooking for 2 up to 3 minutes more and keep the beef brown.
- After that, add the broccoli and the sauce into the pan. Stir and coat everything. Cover it and allow it to cook until the broccoli turns bright green and have crisp tender texture. It takes about 3 minutes.
- When it is cooked well, remove it from the heat. Stir again for the last time to make sure that the sauce coats everything.
- Finally, serve and enjoy it.
Well, one ingredient that you should not miss in this beef and broccoli recipe is baking soda. Yes, it might seem odd to use baking soda in this recipe. However, the ingredient actually can make the meat tenderer. For more, the suggested meat used in this recipe is the Flank steak. It is because this part is the best choice for quick cooking. On the other hand, it also gives wonderful flavor. Regarding the price, it is relatively inexpensive and can be found easily.
On contrary, oyster sauce is not a must in this recipe. If you do not have any, just substitute it with 1 tbsp of brown sugar plus 1 tbsp of soy sauce. The taste might not be the same. However, in case you really need to do quick cooking but realize there is no oyster sauce left in your kitchen, you can use this substitution for cooking beef and broccoli.