This time, let’s learn how to make the best cherry pie recipe that you can make easily at home. Without further ado, here are the ingredients and steps to make it.
- 2 pie crust, for the bottom and the top
- 4 ½ cups of fresh cherries. Pitted in half
- 2/3 cup of granulated sugar
- ¼ cup of cornstarch
- 1tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp of almond extract
- 1 tbsp of unsalted butter, freeze and cut it to small cubes
- 1 large egg, beat it with 1tbspof milk (egg wash)
- Coarse sugar,(this one is optional, it is used for sprinkling the crust)
- Prepare your pie crust. For early information, you need to keep the dough, unbaked pie, and filling cold at all the time. Refrigerate the prepared pie before baking it for approximately 1 hour.
- To begin with, you can start by making the filling. Prepare a large bowl and put the cherries, cornstarch, sugar, vanilla, almond extract, and lemon juice there. Mix until it is combined thoroughly. After finished, keep this filling refrigerated while you preheat the oven. Keep the heat in 400o F or 204o
- Prepare a work surface, which is already floured. Take the chilled dough or pie crust and roll it out. Turn it for about a quarter turn. Make a circle with around 12 inches diameter.
- Prepare a pie dish (9×2 inch) and place the dough there. Tuck the dough with your finger. Take the filling and spoon it to the crust. After that, add the butter pieces for the top filling. This step is important to make the best cherry pie recipe turns out perfect.
- Now, it is time to start arranging the lattice. First, you need to take another pie crust then roll it into circle with 12 inches diameter. Cut it into strips with 2 inches wide and do not forget to have two strips of it with 1 inch wide. Now, thread the strips. To weave it, you need to pull back the strips then depress the edges of it to seal. If you have excess dough, trim it off. You can also crimp the edge with a fork if you want different decoration.
- Brush the top of pie crust with egg wash and get the coarse sugar to sprinkle it.
- Turn your oven to 375o F or 190o C then bake the pie for about 20 minutes. Put a pie crust shield on top (as prevention to get the edges browning so quickly) and bake it again for about 30-35 minutes.
- Let the pie cool down for about 3 hours before you serve it.
For additional information regarding the freezing instruction in this best cherry pie recipe, you can keep all the ingredients for a long time. Pie crust can last 5 days and even 3 months in the freezer, and so do the baked pie and the prepared fillings.
That is the secret recipe you should remember. Hopefully, this best cherry pie recipe will satisfy your tongue and tummy.