Adding the best chicken and rice recipe to your cooking book will be useful if you want to have fulfilling meal without having to fuss over expensive ingredients. This Southern style chicken and rice dish is surely one of classic comfort food that people never forget about. Once you have tasted it, there is no way back. Let’s see how you can prepare this recipe with readily available ingredients at your pantry.
- 3 cups chicken stock to cook the rice. If you have a great homemade chicken stock recipe, you should use it here
- 1½ cups long grain brown rice. You can substitute it white rice as long as it is the long grain variety
- 6 pieces boneless and skinless chicken thighs. It is possible to substitute them with leaner pieces of chicken meat in this best chicken and rice recipe, but that will alter the flavor slightly
- A medium size yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Black pepper to taste, freshly grounded
- Salt to taste
- Parsley for garnish, finely chopped. You can use other greens that may be more suitable to your taste bud
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Sauté diced onion and celery until they turn translucent.
- Place the chicken thighs in the pot then cook until the sides turn brown. They should be fully cooked through.
- Take out chicken thighs then cut them into bite size pieces.
- Add garlic to the onion and celery mixture then cook until fragrant.
- Pour rice into the pot then mix until it is thoroughly combined with the vegetable mixture and rice takes translucent color.
- Pour chicken broth into the pot. Scrap every bit that is left at the bottom of your pot because it contains rich flavor.
- Place the chicken back into cooking pot. Wait until the chicken stock is boiling.
- Cover the pot with a lid then turn the heat to low. Wait for 20 minutes or until the rice is done cooking.
- Turn off the heat then let the pot sit and covered for 10 minutes.
- Season the chicken and rice dish with salt and freshly grounded black pepper.
- Serve the dish on plate and garnish with chopped parsley.
This best chicken and rice recipe can serve six to eight people. It is a really fulfilling dish that will comfort your stomach when you need a pick me up meal. Since everything is made in one pot, the flavors of ingredients merge together so wonderfully. In addition to that, you get varieties of nutrients on your plate: carbohydrate, vitamin, and protein.
The dish can be made under an hour. The ingredients are very easy to obtain. This recipe is the basic version. To make it more flavorful, you can add seasoning blend that you love. It is possible to boost the vitamin in this dish by adding more vegetables, such as carrot and pea.
It is a perfect dish for busy week since the prepping is minimal and cooking time is relatively short. You can even pre-make this dish then keep it in the fridge for days that you want to eat this chicken rice dish. Try this best chicken and rice recipe at home to taste how wonderful simplicity is.