In fact, clam is tasty indeed, no wonder there are many people looking for the best clam chowder recipe. If you are curious about it as well, you can follow this recipe. It is so easy to do and can get you the appetizing clam chowder. The recipe is for 4 servings. Here are the ingredients and steps to get it done.
- 2 kg of clams, scrubbed
- 200 g of thick bacon or pancetta, dice or cut it in small size
- 2 waxy potatoes, chop it into1cm dice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 150ml of double cream
- 2 tbsp of plain flour
- Knob of butter
- To begin the best clam chowder recipe, you need to put the clams in a large pan. Pour 600 ml water in it then cover and boil it. Steam until most are open. After that, take a sieve and place a bowl underneath it, and then pour the clams there. The bowl will hold the liquid. Let it cool down.
- If it is already cool enough, you can start removing the shells and discard them. Furthermore, chop the clams if you find them are too large. On the other hand, strain the liquid from some layers of paper towel. You can use cheesecloth. Make it for about 1.2 liters.
- Then, prepare your pan and heat it in medium high heat. Next, fry the bacon by using its own fat. Cook until it begins to render. Then, add onion and fry them until they are soft while the bacon should be crisp. If they are already turning brown, you can add the bay leaf and flour. Cook and stir them for some minutes.
- Slowly, pour the clam liquid, add the potatoes and simmer them until the potatoes get tender texture. Approximately, it needs 10 minutes. Now, pour the cream, butter, and clams.
- Do not forget to season it with black pepper. If you want, you can also add some salt.
- Enjoy this dish while it is still warm.
Well, this best clam chowder recipe uses onions and potatoes. For more information, those two ingredients are a must in making chowder. More importantly, you also need to soften the potatoes in soup. Do not soften it separately. In that way, the potatoes will soak up the clam juices while they are being cooked. As the result, you will have juicy potatoes with tasty flavor. For more specification, red potatoes will look more appealing. It has contrast color, which will make your bowl look attractive. However, if you do not have any, just use waxy potatoes as well.
Some people might use thickener while making chowder. It is actually the traditional way. Even more, some people also use traditional crackers. However, the result might be soggy and look unappetizing. If you want a thickener, flour will be the best option you can take in making this best clam chowder recipe.