The best meatloaf recipe should be known by every mother in the world. Meatloaf is the go-to dish to make when children do not want to eat anything. Most children love meatloaf since it is juicy and delicious. However, making meatloaf is tricky; once you miss a step or ingredients, the meatloaf could be dry and less appetizing. Of course, you do not want to make this mistake.
For those who want to make meatloaf the right way, here is the full recipe of the best and healthiest meatloaf you can ever find. This is surely the best meatloaf recipe to make when you want to make quick and healthy meal for everyone, whether it is for lunch or for dinner.
- 500 gr lean beef, minced well
- 1 medium-sized onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and grate coarsely
- 1/2 cup rolled oatmeal
- 1/2 cup whole meal breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce (for the dough)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (for the glaze)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To make the best meatloaf recipe, start by preheating oven to 180 degree Celsius (356 degree Fahrenheit) for 10 minutes.
- Prepare a baking tray and line the tray with baking paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together minced beef, oatmeal, breadcrumbs, and garlic. Mix well.
- After all ingredients are all combined, add in the vegetables: carrots, onion, and parsley. Mix the dough again.
- Now add in the liquid ingredients: olive oil, tomato paste, barbecue sauce, milk, and beaten egg. Combine all the ingredients together with your clean hands until it forms shapeable dough. Rest it for 10 minutes.
- On the lined baking tray, shape the dough into rectangle (10 cm x 18 cm). Bake the meatloaf in the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take it out of the oven and touch it. If it is firm and does not break down, it is done.
- Drain the excess fat from meatloaf (do not throw away the excess fat, though, because it can be used to make gravy or brown sauce).
- Glaze meatloaf with barbecue sauce until the entire surface of meatloaf is covered in sauce. Put it back in oven and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rest the meatloaf for at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving. Serve it with mashed potato and vegetable side dish, such as honey-glazed carrot and beans.
This meatloaf recipe is easily modified. Whether you want to add in more ingredients or change the type of meat, you can easily do it. In this best meatloaf recipe, the glaze is traditional barbecue sauce. You can change it with any glaze or sauce that you desire, including demi-glaze or even Asian-inspired glaze.