The best chili recipe will be able to warm you up during the coldest months or whenever you need a pick me up. This Texan dish is spicy, flavorful, and hearty. No one is capable to resist its delicious taste. Over the years, there are many versions of this dish being made. People get creative by adding some unusual ingredients to make it fit their taste buds better. However, it is certain that the classic version fits universal palate. Let’s see how you can recreate this comfort meal.
- 2 pounds ground beef, around 90% of leanness. Lean meat substitutes like turkey can be used as well but it will alter the flavor.
- 19 ounces canned kidney beans, drained from the juice then rinsed.
- 5 ounces tomatoes, diced finely.
- 5 ounces canned crush tomatoes.
- 1½ cup beef broth or other broth of your choice.
- 1 cup beer. Heavier ale such as IPA works best with this best chili recipe.
- 1 medium size onion, diced finely.
- 4 cloves garlic, minced finely.
- 1 medium size green bell pepper, diced finely.
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded then diced finely. If you want the dish to be spicier, you can include the seeds.
- 1½ tablespoon powdered chili.
- 1 tbsp tomato paste.
- A tbsp brown sugar.
- A tsp ground cumin.
- Salt to taste.
- Black pepper, freshly grounded, to taste.
- Mix the ground meat with powdered chili until combined so the spicy flavor will marinate inside the beef.
- Heat up a large pot then add meat, minced garlic, onion, and jalapeno. Stir until the mixture browns and beef renders its fat. Remove most of the fat from cooking pot.
- Add the diced vegetables, spices, and the liquid (broth and beer). Bring the chili up to boiling temperature.
- Lower the heat to low then let this dish simmer from 45 to 60 minutes without being covered.
- Taste the dish before adding salt and pepper.
- The chili is ready to be served warm.
Traditionally, the best chili recipe will be served with warm cornbread that has been buttered up. The bread will be able to soak this stew wonderfully. That will be a quite filling meal. Tortilla chips and croutons are great alternatives for cornbread. Since chili is a very hearty dish, it is also served with condiments that are able to cut down its heavy flavor, such as: lime, sour cream, and cilantro. The dish will benefit from a little tangy flavor.
This particular recipe can serve up to eight people with one and half cup per serving bowl. Each serving contains 395 kilocalories. The recipe is not too high on fat, though, since you only use the beef’s natural fat. It takes a little over an hour to cook this dish from start to the end. You also need to compile a long list of ingredients. However, your effort will be rewarded by the magnificent taste. Making this in a big batch is a great way that will save you hassles in the future since chili can freeze really well.
You do not need to order takeout when you need a comfort food. Preparing your own chili dish takes equal time that you need when ordering food. Make this best chili recipe to warm up!