Here is the best red velvet cake recipe you can try at home. Just follow all the steps carefully to get the best cake ever. Let’s check it out.
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 cups sugar (granulated)
- 1 cup buttermilk, let it sit to room temperature
- 1 cup canola, can be substituted by vegetable oil as well
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened, let it sit to room temperature
- 2 tbsp natural cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp white vinegar, distilled
- Red food coloring
- 4 large eggs, separated
- To begin with, start by preheating the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. After that, prepare two 9 inches of cake pans and grease them. Continue filling it with parchment paper and grease it as well. Parchment paper is important to ease you in releasing the cake later.
- To make dry ingredients in this best red velvet cake recipe, take a large bowl and whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Take another bowl then mix butter and sugar by using a mixer on medium high speed for about 1 minute. When it is combined, scrape down the bottom and sides. After that, add egg yolks, oil, vinegar, and vanilla extract. Beat them for about 2 minutes.
- If you have finished, add the dry ingredients for 2-3 additions then followed by the buttermilk. Mix them on low speed. Add food coloring; it depends on how red you want the cake. If you prefer to use gel food coloring, 2 tsp of it will be enough. Now, whisk the 4 white eggs until it is fluffy peaks for about 3 minutes. Fold it into the cake batter and make it silky with slight thick.
- This best red velvet cake recipe requires you to set the batter into cake pans and bake it for about 30 up to 32 minutes. You can check whether it has done or not by using a toothpick. When it comes out clean, take it off. Always remember that you should not let it overcooked, as the cake will get dry. Next, let the cake cool before frosting it.
- While waiting, you can make the frost. Take a large bowl and beat butter and cream cheese on medium high speed. Then add confectioners’ sugar, milk/cream, salt, and vanilla extract. Mix them well. If the frost needs to be thicker, you can add more confectioners’ sugar. On the other hand, if it is too thick, you need to add milk.
- Now, assemble and frost the cake. Take a large serrated knife and slice a layer of top of the cake to make a flat surface.
As the tips, you can discard the crumble. Then, place 1 layer on a serving plate and cover it with frosting evenly. Top it with the second layer and spread with frosting evenly. To get the cake hold the shape when you cut it, you need to refrigerate it for about 30 up to 60 minutes first before slicing and enjoying this best red velvet cake recipe.