The best stuffing recipe will be a perfect side dish for your every meal. Rather than usual mashed potatoes, you better try this stuffing recipe for an easy and delicious side dish. This dish is popular to cook on holiday dinners, such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is perfect when you pair it with a casserole, turkey, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin pie. Follow this recipe, so you can make this easy and delicious dish.
- 2 Onions
- Celery, 4 stalks
- Butter, 2/3 cup
- Poultry seasoning, 1 1/2 teaspoons. You can also substitute with half a teaspoon of ground sage
- Black pepper
- Bread (preferably cubes), 12 cups
- Chicken broth, 3-4 cups
- Parsley, 2 tablespoons
- Thyme, sage, rosemary, with a combined quantity of 1 tablespoon.
- Dice the celery and onions then set it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat up your skillet on medium and melt the butter.
- Once melted, add the poultry seasoning accompanied with the diced onion and celery. You can also add rosemary. Cook on low-medium until it’s tender, not brown. It’ll take around 10-12 minutes.
- Place your bread cubes in the large bowl. Add the cooked onion mixture to the bowl, accompanied with parsley and the fresh herb mixture.
- Pour the broth onto the bread mix until the bread is moist. Toss the bread a bit to make sure the broth covers all of the bread. Season with black pepper and salt to taste.
- Place the mix into a serving dish, then dot with butter. Cover it with foil then put inside the oven to bake for 35 minutes.
- Take the dish out after 35 minutes and serve.
You might be confused about poultry seasoning. You can find it in almost any grocery stores, but it is usually sold out during Thanksgiving. If you want to make it yourself for the best stuffing recipe, it is a simple blend of sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, nutmeg, and white pepper. Seal it in a container and it will last up to six months. However, make sure to store it in a dry place.
There are several additional tips for this best stuffing recipe. If you want to use rosemary, it is recommended to cook it with the onions and celery because rosemary gives a great scent and flavor while the onions and celery are sizzling. Then, it is better to use dry bread to allow for more broth to be absorbed. You can dice and dry the bread a few days earlier if you want the best result. A combo of brown and white bread is much recommended.
If you want to use this as a turkey stuffing, just refrigerate it for 35 minutes. You also need to stuff it in room temperature, and stuff it just before roasting the turkey. If you put this in while it is still hot, the turkey’s fluid will dip into the stuffing making it soggy and unsafe to eat. But then, you can always eat this best stuffing recipe as a great casserole all by itself.