You can cook biscuits and gravy recipe for quick breakfast with ingredients in your kitchen. This recipe is simple and easy to make. Moreover, it takes less time for preparation and the cooking process is relatively short. One problem is you should cook two sections, which are gravy and biscuits. More about the recipe is explained in the following sections.
- 1 lb. pork sausage, sage flavored or other
- 1/4-1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-3 cups whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- 2-2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 6 tbsps. unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4-1 cup whole milk cold
- Put the butter into freezer for about 15 minutes. Cold texture will give flaky, buttery, and light biscuit.
- Prepare the cookie sheet alongside nonstick parchment paper. Preheat the oven at 425 F.
- In large bowl, mix the ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix and stir until they look completely blended.
- Take the butter and cut it with pastry cutter. Pour into the mixture then stir slowly. It will create the coarse crumbs.
- Add milk, cold one, into mixture and stir with spoon. Keep the milk in less mixture to balance the dough.
- Stir the dough slowly and gently then press to thicken its texture. You can add more ingredients especially flour if the texture is too smooth.
- Cut the dough into small pieces as biscuits and lay them on baking sheet.
- Put into oven and bake for 12 minutes until look light brown.
- In saucepan, put sausage and cook at medium heat until the color is no longer pink.
- Pour flour on sausage and continue to cook. Make sure all flour is already absorbed.
- Add milk into skillet and stir slowly.
- Add red pepper and continue to cook then simmer until thickened.
- Take biscuit and pour gravy directly on the top.
From the list above, you see that biscuits and gravy recipe consists of two sets of ingredients. The recipe needs biscuit and gravy separately then you can put together for serving. You need more ingredients for biscuit, especially flour, butter, and milk. Don’t forget to keep the baking soda and sugar.
The alternative for granulated sugar is honey or you can try brown sugar. Honey might give different taste of sweet when mixed with the flour. Brown sugar is suitable option for biscuit and gravy recipe because it’s relatively subtle when mixed into flour, butter, and milk. You can melt this one before pouring directly. Add more flour if the sugar is too sweet. The cold butter should be sprinkled not mixing. It is for the texture that creates crumbs.
Next, cook the gravy after the dough is inside the oven. Baking process takes up to 15 minutes while you cook the sausage in saucepan. Red pepper is optional to enhance the flavor. Of course, the others are available for replacement, such as chili powder, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. The biscuit can be prepared and cooked long time then kept in the fridge. It shortens the cooking time for biscuits and gravy recipe.