There are many good menus to try for breakfast and biscuits and gravy is one of the recommended dishes to try. In case you want to cook it, there is nothing to worry since it can be cooked easily without any problems. In order to help you, there is a recipe with complete ingredients and cooking instructions.
- ¾ cup whole milk, cold
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, very cold
- 1 lb sage flavored pork breakfast sausage
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups whole milk
- First part is to make the biscuits.
- Prepare your oven and preheat it up to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a parchment paper and cookie sheet for the biscuits later.
- Get a large bowl. Pour the flour, sugar, baking powder, and the salt. Mix them completely.
- Take the butter and add it to the dry mixture. You can use a spoon to stir the butter and the mixture until you get dough.
- Prepare a surface and add flavor on it. It will be place for you to work on the dough. Use your hands and add some flour when it is still too sticky on your hands.
- Once you find that the dough is cohesive enough, it is time to flatten it. Fold the dough to get the half size and flatten it gently. Rotate it and fold again. You can repeat the step for around 6 times.
- After that, flatten the dough until it is around 1-inch thick.
- Get a biscuit or cookie cutter and transfer the cut dough to the cookie sheet. Give enough space between each of the dough.
- Then, start baking the dough for around 12 minutes or until you see the dough turning golden brown.
- While you are baking, you can go to the second part.
- Second part is to make the gravy.
- Get a saucepan and put the sausage on it. Use medium heat for cooking the sausage.
- Start crumbling the sausage once the pan is hot enough. Keep doing it until the sausage has no pink color.
- Add the flour by sprinkling it over the crumbled sausage. Cook them together.
- Pour the milk and stir them together.
- Cook until the mixture gets thickened.
- Then, pour the gravy on the biscuit, and the breakfast is ready to serve.
In this biscuits and gravy recipe, you can also add the red pepper. You may use crushed red pepper to get richer flavor. It is added in the process of making gravy, so you can add it after pouring the milk and stir them together.
For the butter, it is recommended to freeze it. Frozen butter can help you to get the better taste of buttery biscuit. It can give great flavor for your biscuits and gravy. You can freeze it for around 10 minutes and it is already enough.
In serving it, just combine with other menu that’s suitable with the dish. It is fine to make combination of breakfast. Pancake or casserole can be good options, and these will make the biscuits and gravy much tastier.