Delicious food is what you need to warm your body, and this is where black bean soup comes into the right place. The soup is simple and easy to make in less than 30 minutes. In fact, you might take only 20 minutes, unless the preparation is already done previously. The ingredients are easy to find, and the instructions are simple to follow. More about this recipe is explained in the following sections.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 can garlic roasted
- 4 cans black beans, 2 drained and 2 undrained
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 1½ tsp cumin
- 2 cans vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen thawed corn
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Cilantro, fresh chopped and optional
- 1 tbsp lime juice, fresh squeezed
- Take undrained black beans and put them into food processor. Press until thicken then put aside.
- Heat oil in pot or large dutch.
- Put onion then stir and saute them for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir again until they blend with onion.
- Put tomatoes, all black beans, green chilies, chicken broth, corn, chili powder, and cumin.
- Mix them and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add lime juice then stir slowly.
- Put pepper and salt to taste.
- Serve with cilantro that’s freshly chopped.
Black bean soup uses ingredients that you can purchase at store. Undrained and drained black beans are necessary in order to create thick soup texture. Undrained ones are beans that still raw, but quite subtle when you putt on food processor. Additional ingredients include cumin, corn, garlic, and onion. They are vegetables you need to boost the taste and nutrition. Add more if you like much for corn and onion.
One of key ingredients is chicken broth that’s also called vegetable broth. It is available at store or you can make on your own. Low sodium broth is preferable if you put much concern about the taste and nutrition in black bean soup. Add more broth if you want to reduce the thickness. In that case, simmering is longer than normal time. In that case, the broth should be in balance between bean, onion, and other ingredients.
For seasonings, this recipe uses chili powder, salt, and pepper. For spicy taste, put more chili powder, although pepper is also reliable. However, both give different spicy texture and everyone has different preference. Moreover, salt is important to ease the extra beans and soothe the taste. You can add more into soup, especially if more broth is being poured. Limejuice is another way to deliver extra flavor. Add more or less if you like a little bit sour taste in this soup. The rest of ingredients are chopped cilantro, but it is optional. The recipe is still good without cilantro. However, adding it gives the unique taste.
From above instructions, the cooking time takes relatively 25 minutes. The preparation is 5 to 10 minutes, especially for preparing the beans and raw ingredients. Therefore, you will get black bean soup ready in just 30 minutes.