Homemade churros are perfect for treats. They have crisp texture on the outside with tender and soft texture on the inside. Moreover, the flavor is irresistible and makes anyone want to get it more and more. Churros are easy to make. For 18 serving, you just need 10 minutes of preparation and 20 minutes to cook. Here is the recipe for you.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, diced
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon (for coating)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (for coating)
- The first step to make homemade churros starts with the coating. Take small bowl and whisk the cinnamon and sugar. Mix them well and set aside.
- Secondly, take a deep skillet or large pot and heat the vegetable oil there at medium heat. While waiting for it, you can prepare the batter.
- In a saucepan, mix butter, flour, water, salt, and sugar. Boil them in a medium high heat. Then add flour and turn the heat into medium low. Stir it by using a rubber spatula. Make sure that the mixture is smooth. If there are some lumps left, you can just let it.
- Next, take a large bowl and pour the batter there. Add egg and vanilla and blend them. At first, you may find that they are separating. Just continue mixing them and they will come together. Continue mix it until it gets smooth texture.
- After that, prepare a 16 inch piping bag. Then transfer the batter there. It is suggested to use the one with rounded star tip for the original of churros.
- Pipe the mixture carefully with 6 inch for the length. You can cut the end by using clean scissor.
- Fry it until it turns golden brown. You may need around 2 minutes to cook each side. After it is cooked, transfer it to paper towels and let it dry.
- Next, dip it in the coating mixture; roll it so that all sides can have the coating.
- Now, you need to repeat the frying process until you get all the dough done.
- Finally, delicious homemade churros are ready for your snack. Enjoy it while it is still warm.
For your information, the egg can give some rise, also richer flavor for the churros. Other recipe may go with 3 eggs. However, having too much egg can make the churros too eggy. 1 egg is enough. Nevertheless, you can have more if you want to.
For another tip, you need to let the dough first before you add the egg. Adding the egg right away will make the egg scrambled when you cook the batter. For more, the dough will be so warm. Therefore, you need to get the mixer prepared first right after adding the egg. These tips will definitely get you the perfect homemade churros.