Homemade Mexican Chalupas! Most of the Mexican foods are super yummy, that you want to have a try on cooking them at home. Sadly, you just don’t have the time. Don’t worry. Here I give you the simplest recipe on Mexican food you could try with minimum effort. Yes, Chalupa. Chalupa is basically just a fried-dough and everybody could make it. Overall, you only need a few ingredients, make the dough, put fillings and serve it.
How to make homemade Mexican Chalupa
Once you have the ingredients, all you need to do is just mix them all and you’ll have the most of your chalupas ready to be fried. The next thing to do is to make a filling for the fried dough. You can choose whatever fillings. Finally, fried the chalupas that you’ve put the filling inside, and wait for a moment until it’s perfectly fried. I’m not saying all of your chalupas might turn out being golden and crispy. But, hey! Some of them will turn out well and you’ll have people liking your chalupa photos once you post them on Instagram.
What are the ingredients for homemade Mexican Chalupa?
Don’t bother going to the grocery store to buy the ingredients for making your own Mexican chalupa’s dough, because you’ll probably find them in the fridge. If not so, you might still need to buy a few of them, but of course, after making sure that the house next door doesn’t have them either. Here is the list of the ingredients you need to prepare:
- Dough: flour, milk, salt, shortening, baking powder.
- Filling: ground beef, lettuce, tomatoes, taco sauce, sour cream, canola oil, sharp cheddar cheese.
Besides ground beef, you can pick other fillings that might suit your taste. There are various filling you can put, like shredded lettuce and scattered cilantro. If there are some leftover shrimps, chicken or pork, you can definitely use them. Just experiment with what filling that works well with you, because basically you can have anything you like and they’ll go perfectly well with the fried dough.
Step-by-step overview for homemade Mexican Chalupa
The very first step that you want to do is making the dough. It is so simple, because you just need to mix everything and deep fried them, as listed below:
- Mix all of the dough ingredients.
- Shape it like a ball.
- Fried the dough and wait until they’re perfectly cooked.
Now you’ve got the shell and the next thing you need is to make the fillings. You don’t have to choose one filling, though. You can make various kinds of filling.
- Cook whatever filling you’ve picked: beef, lettuce, tomatoes.
- Add a generous amount of taco sauce or any sauce you like.
That’s it! Yes, it is that simple. You can read the more detailed instruction below, including the time allocation for preparing and cooking the dish, along with the nutrition facts you might want to check.
Homemade Mexican Chalupas Recipe
- 214 cup of flour
- 12 tablespoon of salt
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 oz of shortening
- Canola oil, used for frying
- 1 lb of cooked ground beef
- Diced tomatoes
- Sour cream
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Taco sauce
- Heat the oil in a heavy medium skillet.
- Add the flour, salt, baking powder and shortening in a mixing bowl. Mix all of the ingredients. Slowly pour the milk into the dough. While pouring it, mix them all together with a spoon to make the dough into balls.
- Turn the dough to a surface that is floured and roll it repeatedly until it turns smooth.
- Mold the dough and make it into a loaf, divide the molded dough in half and then turn into fourths.
- Roll each individual part of the dough into a shape of a ball and roll the small one, make it into a circle.
- Dip half of the dough into the oil. Dip slowly and flip it into the other half before it turns brown. This is to make sure that the filling is deep-fried. But if it’s not a problem, you can just dip them all together on both sides. Wait for approximately two minutes. Once it turns into golden brown, remove the fried dough from the oil.
- The last step is to fill the chalupas with tomatoes, lettuce, beef, cheese, and sour cream. Add taco sauce if necessary.
Calories: 244kcal | Fat: 13g | Carbohydrates: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 24g | Vitamin A: 600IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Iron: 0.7mg | Calcium: 180mg