Baked Chicken Chimichangas! Actually, a chimichanga can also be called a deep-fried burrito. Therefore, some people might call the baked version as the baked burrito. Chimichangas are most people’s favorite when they talk about Mexican meals. If you ask some kids what to order in a restaurant, they will certainly want chimichanga.
A regular chimichanga is usually dripping oils. This is why I really wish to have chicken chimichangas that had the same taste and plenty of crisps but no too much fat or oil. Baked Chicken Chimichangas is a healthy version of the classic chimichangas recipe that used to be fried. This is exactly what I want. Keep reading to learn how to cook baked chimichangas.
On this recipe, you will need to use a ready to eat chicken. It is really handy if you already have some leftover of chicken. But some people may need more information on how to process the chicken on this recipe. Actually, you can simply boil it before using it on your chimichangas.
In order to prepare the 2 cups of boiled chicken, you can follow these following steps.
- Take 4 cups of water in a 2-quart pan and boil it on medium heat.
- Prepare for about ¾ pound of boneless chicken, you can use the thighs or breasts as you desire. Cut it all to be cubes.
- If the water starts boiling, put the chicken in.
- Cook the chicken for roughly 5 minutes or until you notice it has been cooked through.
- Drain and wait until it is cold before chopping or shredding it.
Baked Chicken Chimichangas
- 2 cups boiled chicken, you can chop or shred it as you prefer
- 1 cup or 4 ounces of grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of your preferred salsa
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano leaves, don’t forget to crush it
- ¼ cup chopped green onions, it usually needs 2 rods
- 1 teaspoon powdered cumin
- 6 pieces of 8-inch tortilla
- 2 tablespoon melt butter
- Sour cream
- Diced tomato
- Grated cheddar cheese
- First off, you can start by preheating your oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix all the filling ingredients. You can start by mixing salsa, oregano, and cumin first. After stirring the mixture some times, you can add the chopped chicken, cheese, and green onions. Stir all filling ingredients until it is combined well.
- Prepare tortillas and place just about 1/3 cup of the filling mixture at the center spot on a tortilla. Then repeat arranging the filling on the left tortillas.
- Start folding each side of a tortilla toward the filling mixture. Roll it from the bottom side and place it on a baking sheet with the seam side faces down. Do the same for the rest.
- Brush all tortillas with butter that you have melted beforehand.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You need to wait approximately for 25 minutes. If you notice it becomes golden brown or crispy enough. You can take it out.
- Serve with salsa on its side and garnish with your favorite toppings.
Nutritional Facts per Serving
- Total Calories: 350
- Total Fat: 26%
- Saturated Fat: 38%
- Sodium: 34%
- Cholesterol: 21%
- Total Carbohydrate: 9%
- Protein: 42%
- Calcium: 24%
- Vitamin A: 11%
- Vitamin C: 4%
- Iron: 15%
Baked Chicken Chimichangas vs Fried Chimichangas
Baking chimichangas is really a wise option because it is much healthier. Since there are no vegetable oils in used, you are able to keep your heart healthy. Moreover, you eat fewer calories.
It is no doubt that frying tortillas will give you crunchy and flaky textures, but baking can also make it tasty. You only need to brush the chicken chimichangas with some melted butter and then, bake it at high temperature. You will find it crispy and nice with only a half calories compared to the fried ones.
Frozen Chicken Chimichangas
Surely yes. You can make these chicken chimichangas and store it at your freezer. The next day, you can directly bake it and enjoy the tasty baked chicken Chimichangas.
It is the time for you to alter from traditional chimichangas to a simpler and healthier recipe of baked chicken Chimichangas. The recipe above has been made as simple and easy as possible. The baked variation is way better since you don’t have to sacrifice any flavor yet it is fewer calories.
Make a lot of them when some friends come to your home over. Everyone would definitely love it. It hits every time. You can eat these with any toppings you like. Adding sour cream on top of it will raise its taste on another level. Or you can always crush some of them plain. It is still delicious.