Delicious meal is what you will get with sausage gravy recipe. For your information, this recipe is popular as traditional food in several areas. You will find simple gravy or with the additional ingredients. How do you make them? The instructions and list of ingredients are explained at the following sections.
- 1 pound sausage, mild or hot
- 1/3-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3-4 cups milk, more if necessary
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsps. black pepper, freshly round and more to taste
- Warmed biscuits, for serving
- Crush sausages and tear them apart with your finger. Put them in skillet and heat until lightly brown. Keep in medium heat level and slowly reduce to the low mode.
- Add flour, only half, and stir sausages until they soak equally. While stirring, pour the rest of flour, but little by little. Stir again for few minutes.
- Pour the whole milk and stir sausage mixture to blend then simmer for a while.
- The gravy is ready in ten minutes. Add salt and pepper then continue stirring. Just cook until it looks luscious and thick.
- Now, you can serve the gravy over biscuit.
From the ingredients, sausage gravy recipe uses sausage that is specifically for breakfast and in warm condition. Of course, you may replace it with any sausage that’s available in your area. Furthermore, the sausages might come from various ingredients. Therefore, the recipe does not limit your way when cooking this gravy.
First instruction is to crush sausage directly with finger or hand. You can replace this step with cutting into small pieces. Crushing is preferable because sausage can be tender easily. One important part is: do not use blender or food processor. Sausage still has its form but not look as smoothie. This is the key thing that some people think gravy is about complete sauce. On contrary, gravy texture will be from milk and flour. You can add both more then stir slowly until thick. Furthermore, you are ready for the basic sausage gravy recipe.
Sausage, milk, and flour are not enough if you want strong taste. As solution, pepper, salt, or both are good choices for seasonings. Add more salt to balance the milk or pepper for spicy flavor. Besides, any seasonings are easily to blend as long as you keep in balance. Some recipes also add eggs, butter, cheese, even sugar and honey. If you like, add anything but make sure those additional things do not ruin the taste.
Gravy is not food you can taste directly without biscuit. In fact, this is also suitable for rice, smashed potato, bread, or any stable foods. The combination between gravy and biscuit is the best choice that makes this recipe popular.
Prep time is 10 to 15 minutes, and the cook time is 15 minutes. This recipe is enough for family meal session. You can cook for lunch or dinner. Moreover, you can prepare and cook it then store in airtight container for the next meal. Put in the fridge and warm them again for the next meal. This is what you should know about simple sausage gravy recipe.