If you like to have some occasions held in your house, knowing the homemade sloppy joes recipe is a must. Sloppy joes are perfect for backyard barbeques, parties, or even family occasions. You can enjoy it for yourself as well if you are really in love with the taste of this dish. Sloppy joes are not hard to make. 30 minutes is enough to have this dish ready on your table. However, the taste of sloppy joes is undoubtedly will be a perfect match for any plan you have. Here are the ingredients you need and the steps to follow.
- 1 pound beef
- 8 sandwich buns, split them
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- Black pepper, to taste
- To make this sloppy joes recipe, first prepare a Dutch oven. If you do not have it, you can use a large pan as well. Set it on medium high heat.
- Add the onion there and sauté it for a minute. Next, add the beef and cook until the beef turns brown. 5 minutes is enough. If you have done cooking, get the beef and onion in a bowl and set it aside.
- Next, prepare a small bowl. Whisk the ketchup, tomato sauce, mustard, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Make sure that all of those ingredients are mixed well.
- After that, pour the sauce on top of your beef. Mix them together and make sure that all beef are coated evenly.
- Cover the beef and simmer it for about 20 minutes. You can stir them occasionally.
- Finally, serve the sloppy joes with the buns you have prepared before. If you have some leftovers, you can keep it in a container then freeze it to eat for later.
Since sloppy joes need to have sweet taste on it, this sloppy joes recipe requires some sugar. If you are on a special diet and needs to avoid it, you can nix the brown sugar form the ingredients. Besides that, you may also need to use less sugar tomato ketchup. Choose the right brand as well and make sure that it is organic. That kind of product may still have a little amount of sugar but with no HCFS. It will be perfect for making sloppy joes, especially for people who want to lessen the sugar intake.
For a substitution of the beef, you can use ground chicken to make sloppy joes. When you get bored of the chicken taste, you can use ground turkey as well. Furthermore, sloppy joes are not always about meet. You can give some vegetables and turn this recipe into healthy dish for vegetarian. Just add some of your favorite vegetables on it and taste the different. For more, firm tofu also works well for this sloppy joes recipe.