If you have potatoes at home and do not know what to do with it, why not just make twice baked potatoes? It has creamy, crispy, and cheesy texture. It is so flavorful as well. Here is the recipe to make it.
- 8 ounce russet potatoes
- 4 ounces cheese, shredded
- 4 strips bacon, cooked then divided
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 4 scallions, sliced thinly, divided
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- To begin making twice baked potatoes, the first step is heating the oven. Set it at 400 degrees (Fahrenheit). Position the oven rack at the middle. Meanwhile, put the cooking rack on top of baking sheet with foil lined.
- Secondly, scrub the potato, dry it then rub each of them by using oil. To give additional taste, sprinkle some pepper and salt. After you have done it to all of the potatoes, line them evenly on the baking sheet do not make it too close and give space each other.
- Next, bake it. Make sure the oven has internal temperature at around 29 degrees (Fahrenheit). Bake it for about 45 minutes until 1 hour.
- After that, take the potatoes out from the oven. However, do not turn off the oven as you will need it for the second baking of twice baked potatoes.
- Let the potatoes cool for about10 minutes after that, cut them in half crosswise. Scoop the potato flesh and put it on a large bowl. Make sure that you do not break the shell. You can let it has 1/8 up to1/4 flesh left.
- Now, set the oven to 400 degrees (Fahrenheit) and bake the shell for about 10 minutes. In this way, you will have crisp shells later. Moreover, it has firmer shape as well for the filling.
- While waiting for the shell to get ready, mash the potatoes. Add the sour cream, half the butter, half the bacon, half the scallions, buttermilk, and cheese. For the cheese, you can use Gruyere, sharp cheddar, Mexican blend, or any that you like. Continue mashing until the potato flesh has smooth texture. For additional seasoning, you can add pepper and salt and mix them.
- After that, take the shell out from the oven add fill it with the filling. Have the remaining scallions, butter, bacon, and cheese to decorate the top.
- Now, broil the potatoes until the cheese is melting and the potatoes are getting spotty brown with crisp top, 5 until 10 minutes of broiling is enough.
- Finally, take the potatoes out from the oven and delicious twice baked potato is ready to be served.
The best part from twice baked potato is indeed the filling. With rich kind and flavor of the filling, twice baked potatoes will taste great. If you want, you can add any kinds of ingredients for the filling as well. Cilantro, toasted pecans, caramelized onions are suitable for twice baked potatoes.