You will be basking in heavenly warmth once you have tried out this best beef stew recipe. It offers the caramelized meat, the fragrance of herbs, and the delicious flavors that broth and vegetables really bring out. To make it more perfect, you can add almost any vegetables into the soup to your liking. Do you like mushrooms, peas, carrots? Add them all! With this in mind, you can also use up the leftover vegetables from other recipes to make the beef stew. Without further ado, here are the ingredients and steps.
- Beef, 2 pounds. Preferably the stewing beef
- Flour, 3 tablespoons
- Garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt, 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
- Black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
- Olive oil, 3 tablespoons
- Onion, chopped
- Red wine, 1/2 a cup. This is optional but it really adds flavor to the beef stew.
- Beef broth, 6 cups
- Tomato paste, 3 tablespoons
- Rosemary, 1 teaspoon for dried or 1 sprig for fresh
- Potatoes, 1 pound
- Carrots, chopped
- Celery, 4 stalks
- Peas, 3/4 a cup
- Cornstarch, 2 tablespoons
- Water, 2 tablespoons
- Firstly, you need to combine garlic powder and flour. Add your salt and pepper seasoning to the flour mixture in accordance with the recipe or to taste.
- Cube and trim the beef then add it into the flour mix. Coat the beef evenly with the mixture.
- Heat up your pot or Dutch oven then add olive oil. Add the beef mixture with chopped onions into the pan and cook until the beef browned and the onions caramelized.
- Add the beef stock into the pan while scraping the sticky brown bits inside the pan. If you want to use red wine for this best beef stew recipe, you can add it in this step.
- Insert the tomato paste, rosemary, peeled and cubed potatoes. Add the 1-inch cuts of celery and carrots into the mix as well. Cover the pan and turn down the heat to medium-low. Simmer for one hour or until the meat is fully tenderized, which may take up to 90 minutes.
- While waiting at the best beef stew recipe mix simmers, begin mixing cornstarch and water equally. The resulting slurry then is added to the stew while it’s simmering.
- If you want peas, then you can put it in at approximately 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Don’t forget to add salt and pepper to taste so the peas won’t make the stew bland.
There are several notes that you should pay attention to this recipe. You can add almost any type of meat, but beware that each type may have different tenderizing time. Therefore, it is not recommended to mix in multiple types of beef, as you can have it with multiple textures that may ruin the eating experience. Several beef types may require you to simmer for up to 30 minutes, so it is recommended to just use stewing beef for the best beef stew recipe because of its fast tenderizing trait.