If you are a big fan of clam, it is a must to know the best clam chowder recipe in the world. The delicious taste of clam is indeed can make any people fall for it. To get the best taste, there are many kinds of cooking which you can choose. However, the one that you should not forget to try is the chowder. Here are the ingredients you need to prepare and the steps to cook.
- 10 bacon strips, divided
- 8 ounces clam juice
- 4 small potatoes, peeled then cubed
- 3 cans whole clams, drained, chopped into chunks
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped finely
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp thyme
- Bay leaf
- Chives or green onions, chopped (for garnish, so you can nix it if you do not like)
- Well, to begin making this best clam chowder recipe in the world, prepare a Dutch oven. Begin to cook the bacon at medium heat until they are crisp. After that, remove them and set aside.
- Second, add butter to dripping. If you do not want it in much amounts, you can spoon out some of it. On the other hand, sauté onion, leek, and celery until they are tender. Then add garlic and cook them for about 1 minute longer.
- Add the potatoes, juice, salt, pepper, thyme, and broth. Let them boil and reduce the heat. After that, simmer them, and let it uncovered for about 15 up to 20 minutes. Just make sure the potatoes are tender.
- Take a small bowl. Combine the half-and-half and the flour until they are smooth. Stir the soup gradually and boil them. Cook them until thickened.
- Next, stir in the clams (which you have drained) and the remaining half-and-half. Heat them, do not boil them. Then add the bay leaf and continue cooking for 2 up to 3 minutes more on low heat.
- Now, add the crumbled bacon.
- Garnish with chives and delicious chowder is ready to be enjoyed.
In addition, regarding clam chowder, you may ever hear about clam chowder of Boston and New England. Actually, it is the same dish. The different between these two lies on the broth used. Boston chowder has creamier and thicker broth. However, both of them can be good choices of the best clam chowder recipe in the world as well.
Moreover, to make delicious chowder, you can give additional ingredients. First, it can be bacon. The flavor turns great. However, make sure you are not using the turkey bacon, as it will not give you satisfying flavor. For the potatoes, just use Yukon gold potatoes or red potatoes. Both of them give good taste for the best clam chowder recipe in the world.