The best cupcake recipe will not only be appreciated by children. Basically, anyone from any age group will appreciate a delicious cupcake. Over the years, people come up with different variations of this cute dessert. It no longer caters only to those who have sweet tooth. You can now find cupcake that has savory topping. This article is going to discuss the best version which is the classic vanilla one with delightful buttercream topping.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- A cup whole milk
- A cup water, room temperature
- ½ cup flavorless oil. Canola and vegetable oils are suitable for this best cupcake recipe
- 2 large size eggs, free range egg is highly recommended
- A tablespoon vanilla extract or vanilla paste. Use the high quality one to ensure that this cupcake has deep vanilla flavor
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- A teaspoon Kosher salt
- Colorful sprinkles, optional
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature. If the butter was kept on fridge, take it out few hours before baking
- ½ cup vegetable shortening. You can replace it entirely with the same amount of butter or even cream cheese
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- Sprinkle of Kosher salt
- Sprinkles, optional
- Prepare cupcake tin by lining one with cupcake papers.
- Preheat the oven at 350ºC (equals to 176ºC).
- Combine dry ingredients inside large mixing bowl: all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Combine wet ingredients inside another large mixing bowl: flavorless oil, milk, large size eggs, and oil.
- Mix dry ingredients with the wet ones until fully incorporate. Be careful not to over mix.
- Stream in water slowly into the mix until the mixture thins out and you cannot see lumps.
- Fill the cupcake papers halfway through with the mixture.
- Bake the cupcakes for 15 to 17 minutes. When you insert a toothpick in the cupcake’s center it should come out more or less clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool at room temperature.
- Cream butter and vegetable shortening inside mixing bowl with mixer until smooth, airy, and incorporated well. It should take about 5 minutes.
- Add half of the powdered sugar then mix until you can no longer see dry spots.
- Add vanilla extract or paste and half of the milk then combine until smooth.
- Next, add remaining powdered sugar then mix until you see no lumps.
- Add remaining milk and salt to the buttercream mixture.
- Pipe buttercream onto completely cooled cupcake then dash with sprinkles.
This best cupcake recipe can make about 24 to 26 cupcakes, depending on your tin’s size. This recipe is perfect if you would like to share your baking goods with others. It can be kept inside the fridge as long as the cake and buttercream are not served together yet.
It is easy to modify the recipe in order to fit your taste and creativity. You can add cocoa powder or even melted chocolate if you want to create chocolate cupcake. Replacing shortening with cream cheese, for example, also creates different flavor profile.
This recipe is easy to follow and only take about 45 minutes to assemble. You can easily double or half the best cupcake recipe to fit your needs better.