The luscious taste of French onion soup makes many people hunt the best French onion soup recipe. If you are one of them, you will get what you are looking for in a minute. Below is the best recipe you can try.
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 whole bay leave
- 1 batch cheesy garlic bread
- 6 large yellow onions, peeled, halved then sliced
- Pepper and salt, as you like
- 6 cups beef stock (can be substituted by broth)
- ½ cups dry white wine (optional)
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp beef bouillon powder
- The first step in this best French onion soup recipe is preheating your oven it in medium low heat. Cook olive oil and butter then add the onions. Stir them well. Cover them and cook for about 20 minutes while you need to stir it every five minutes. Make sure that the onions are softened.
- Increase the heat to medium high then add salt and continue stirring it for about 15 minutes. When the onion is already turned brown, caramelized and soft, it means the onion is well cooked already.
- After that, add garlic and cook it for a minute. Then add flour and continue cooking for about 4 minutes, or until it is slightly brown.
- Next, add win for deglazing the pan, and scrape up the browned bits, which are stuck in the bottom of your pan.
- Now, add the thyme and simmer it for about 2 minutes. Just add the beef stock, bay leave, and bouillon. Boil them. You need to reduce the heat and simmer it gently. Moreover, cover it with a lid and let it be cooked for about 30 up to 40 minutes.
- On the other hand, prepare the garlic bread.
- For the serving, you can have a taste test first. If you like to, you can give extra pepper and salt. Dipper the French onion soup in a bowl and top it with the cheesy toast.
This best French onion soup recipe uses wine as one of its ingredients. However, it is not a must to be added in your cooking. The main function of this ingredient is to deglaze the bottom of your pan and to add the flavor of soup. If you do not want to use wine, you can substitute it with beef broth or stock. However, if you want to keep using wine, make sure you use wine with a good quality.
Here are the tips to make the onion not falling apart. First, cut it in half from the top to bottom. Then slice the root section a little bit. Do not take all of it. Next, place the onion side down then slice it from the side. By following the tips for this best French onion soup recipe, you will get the onion ring stay together even when you are cooking it.