The best goulash recipe is what many people are looking for these days. Have you ever try this dish or ever heard about it? Well, as an introduction, goulash is a stew or soup that’s usually filled with tender beef. For the seasoning, it uses onions and paprika. This dish sometimes also has more vegetables, such as potatoes, tomatoes, celery, and carrots. However, it is just an option and some people often skip it.
Originally, it is made by shepherd who is drying out meat for storing. They add water for making it as a soup. The most famous version of this food is the Hungarian and American Goulash. The slight difference of these two is that the American Goulash has more tomatoes. It is also usually completed with macaroni dish. In many occasions, American Goulash is called as Chop Suey. However, the recipe below will tell you about how to make the best goulash recipe come true. Here are the ingredients you need along with the steps.
- 2 medium onions
- 2 cups beef broth (can be substituted by water)
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 ½ pound stewing beef, trimmed and cut to 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp paprika
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp butter
- 3 cups potatoes (optional)
- 1 ½ cup carrots (optional)
- The first step in this best goulash recipe is preparing a large pot and melt the butter, next add the onion. Cook them until they are translucent. Then stir in the caraway seeds and paprika. Mix them well.
- Prepare a bowl and dredge the stew beef by using flour. Add the beef to the mixture you have made in the first step. Cook them for about 2 up to 3 minutes.
- Add the beef broth slowly, only ¼ cup at first. When you have lift the brown from the bottom side of the pan, you can add the remaining broth. Continue by adding the diced tomatoes as well as potatoes and carrots if you choose to use them. Add the flavor by giving some pepper and salt to taste.
- Stir it well and let it boil. Cover the pot with a lid while you are reducing the heat and let it to simmer for around 1 and ½ up to 2 hours. Just make sure it is tender.
- Finally, delicious goulash is ready to be served.
As this recipe is Hungarian goulash, paprika plays important role as the seasoning. Just like many Hungarian cooking, paprika is used to add the flavor of cooking, not just as a garnish. The way to make the paprika’s taste of seasoning is varying. Paprika is also rich in taste. Some of them tastes mild or sweet, meanwhile some of them can have strong flavor as well. To get this best goulash recipe at the best flavor, do not forget to use paprika as the seasoning.