If you are confused in deciding what to cook for dinner, just try this chicken corn chowder. With chicken, bacon, and heavy cream as its main ingredients, you will be able to taste creamy and delicious soup with short preparation time. In total, this soup can be done in 50 minutes. For more, it can be served for 6 people. Here are the ingredients and instructions.
- 2 large chicken breast, cut to small bites
- 6 strips bacon, cut to small pieces
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 3 large potatoes, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup whipping/ heavy cream
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Dash Italian seasoning
- Pepper and salt, to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Scallions, chopped (optional for serving)
- To make this chicken corn chowder, the first step is preparing the bacon. For a tip to cut it easily, you can use kitchen shears. After that, add the bacon to a large pot and set it to medium high heat. Cook it until it is crispy, around 10 minutes.
- While waiting for the bacon to get done, you can use the time to prepare the celery, onion, potatoes, and chicken.
- When the bacon is crisp enough, take it out from the pot. Set it aside. However, do not throw the grease, as it can bring amazing flavor. Keep it for later use.
- Now, add the celery and onion to the pot. Sauté them for 5 minutes. Then stir in the flour and cook them for about a minute.
- After that, add the garlic and then the chicken broth. Stir them evenly to make sure that the flout is completely dissolved and every ingredient is scraped from the bottom of your pot.
- Then add the chicken, potatoes, corn, cream, cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning, and ¾ of the bacon. Another ¼ of the bacon will be used as a garnish. Increase the heat and get the soup to boil. When the soup is boiling, reduce the heat and simmer it.
- Continue cooking until the potatoes are tender, around 15 up to 20 minutes. Do not forget to stir it. If you want the soup to get thicker and thicker, you need to cook it longer.
- For the last seasoning, you can add pepper and salt if you desire.
- When the cooking is done, pour the soup into a big serving bowl and garnish it with the rest bacon and chopped scallions.
- Finally, delicious chicken corn chowder is ready to be served.
Cooking the soup longer is not the only way to get it thick. The amount of flour also affects the soup. Therefore, if you do not like thick soup, you just need to lower the amount. Using 3 tbsp flour is enough. For more, the low sodium chicken broth is also highly recommended to be used in chicken corn chowder recipe for people who are sensitive to salt.