This chicken tortilla soup recipe comes for you who want to try some Mexican foods. But first, what is chicken tortilla soup? It is a chicken-based soup with red or yellow stock. Most commonly, the ingredients are beans, corns, jalapeno, tomatoes, and coriander. Then, it is topped with crispy tortilla strips, lime wedges, and sliced or diced avocado.
Chicken tortilla soup is usually made with chicken breasts. However, it does not limit you to change chicken with lamb, beef, or fish. The toppings are not just the three ingredients above since you can also add everything you desire based on your preference. Following this, let’s start with the ingredients.
- 1 onion, chopped
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4-5 leaves of coriander, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno, remove the seeds and chopped
- 3 large garlic, minced
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes, crushed
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, diced
- 2-3 chilies (If you like spicy food, add more), chopped
- A small cup of black beans
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 corn, peeled
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 200 ml oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon lime juice
- ½ avocado, diced
- 1 lime, cut into four wedges
- Raw corn tortillas, cut into tiny strips
- Heat oil on frying pan with medium-high heat.
- Throw corn tortillas and wait until crunchy.
- Lift, drain then add the salt.
- Heat olive oil on a sauce pan with medium heat.
- Sauté the garlic, onion, and jalapeno until the garlic are turning golden brown.
- Add chicken breasts, salt, pepper, chili powder, chopped chilies, chopped coriander, crushed tomatoes, and also ground cumin.
- Next, pour the chicken stock and stir well.
- Add corn, diced tomatoes, and beans.
- Stir them well and wait about 20 minutes.
- Lift the chicken breasts and shred or cut into pieces.
- Put them back into the sauce pan then add lime juice. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, pour the soup into a bowl.
- Add tortilla strips on top of it along with diced avocado and lime wedges
- Well, hot spicy chicken tortilla soup is ready to serve!
This chicken tortilla soup recipe is for 5-6 bowls. The calories per bowl might be more than 300 calories, and oil is not included. Commonly, the recipe takes 30 minutes in process. It depends on your preparation. If you want to save extra time, you can buy fried tortilla strips or tortilla chips in advance. However, if you buy tortilla chips, make sure to take the plain one. The other flavors will ruin the classic exquisite taste of the soup.
Moreover, chicken tortilla soup recipe is perfectly served with sautéed potato, garlic bread, or Mexican rice. For the beverages, grab the light drink, such as tea, squash, or infused water. It is not healthy to have booze after the soup because it may cause stomachache.
Well, the recipe is insanely easy, right? When you begin to dig in the soup, get ready to lick the last drop in your bowl through this chicken tortilla soup recipe.