Your schedule is jam-packed or you’re just being too lazy, but you want to have a good snack and make it yourself. If you’re thinking about coconut macaroons, you’ve made a perfect choice. You don’t need to spend all of your free time making it because it only takes less than thirty minutes. Besides, you only need to look up inside your cupboard and take very few ingredients. You’ll soon have a bite of the crunchy outside part of the macaroons and chew the soft-and-sweet middle part.
How to make coconut macaroons
If you’re wondering why it’s possible to make this lazy version of coconut macaroons, then here is the answer: because all you need to do is just baking. There’s literally no other way in making macaroons. But you can experiment by adding some chocolates, nuts, of even fill the macaroons with dried fruit. If you do have time, of course, you can add those things and even make various kinds of macaroons. If you don’t, stay calm! The classic lazy day coconut macaroons will safe the day!
What are the ingredients for the recipe
Thinking of going to the groceries store might give you a headache, so why should you bother? Just stay home, because everything you need for creating your very own coconut macaroons is already there, either in the fridge or in the cupboard. If your stocks are running low, ask for some from your neighbor and share the coconut macaroons once it’s done. Here are a very few ingredients you need:
- Egg whites
- Almond or vanilla extract
The amount of coconut depends on your preference. More coconut is needed for making lighter macaroons, while the crunchier one needs more egg whites and sugar. There are many kinds of additional ingredients you can put to the macaroons. Just pick whatever you want or simply stay with the basics. Both are just as yummy!
Step-by-step overview for the recipe
There’s not much you should do. All it takes is just preparing the ingredients and once you have them all ready, mix them together and bake. Relax, wait for a few minutes and you’ll get the coconut macaroons that you want.
- Whisk the egg whites, sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Combine the coconut and egg white mixture
- Shape and bake the macaroons
Isn’t it surprising how easy the overview steps are? Trust me, because it is. It’s basically you let the oven does the work for you and all you need to do is enjoying yourself. The mixed ingredients will bake itself and you’ll have all the macaroons you want in a blink of an eye. Here is the more detailed recipe:
- 3 cups of sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract
- cups of granulated sugar
- teaspoon of salt
- Heat the oven: you need to arrange a rack inside the bottom third and set the oven at a temperature of 350°F (176°C).
- Toast the coconut if necessary: if you prefer super crispy macaroons or a deeper flavor coconut, you’ll need to spread the coconut on a baking sheet and toast until it shows some color. It takes about five minutes. Before using the toasted coconut, cool it for a couple of minutes.
- Whisk the egg whites, vanilla, sugar, and salt: in a large bowl, put the egg whites, sugar, salt and almond or vanilla extract. Whisk them all until the sugar and the white eggs are perfectly mixed, combined and frothy.
- Combine the egg white mixture and the coconut: stir the coconut together with the white egg mixture until it’s moistened evenly.
- Shape the macaroons: wet your hands to prevent sticking, shape the mixture into balls. Make them small, just about inches (4cm) in diameter. Give a few spaces when putting them in a baking sheet. Don’t forget to lime the sheet with a parchment paper or a silicone baking.
- Bake and cool the macaroons: it takes around 15 to 20 minutes to bake until it turns golden brown. Once it’s baked, let them cool for five minutes and cool them completely on a wire rack.
- Store them in a covered container at room temperature up to one week.
Calories: 90kcal | Fat: 6.9g | Saturated sugar: 6.1g | Carbohydrates: 6.7g | Fiber: 1.7g | Sugars: 5g | Protein: 1.3g | Sodium: 37.3