When you are scrolling down your Instagram and find about cooking spaghetti squash, have you ever wondered what is it? Spaghetti squash is underrated vegetable dish which is actually good for your health. Besides good, it is also delicious and has low calories. It looks like spaghetti. The original flavor is very mild even you can call it nearly bland. However, you can add desired seasoning to lift up the taste. Now, let’s start to cook!
- 1 medium-sized ripe spaghetti squash
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoon butter, chilled
- Fresh parsley (optional), chopped
- Cheddar cheese (optional), shredded
- First, cut the squash in half lengthwise. Take out the seeds using spoon.
- Rub the melted butter on each half using brush. Then, marinate with black pepper and salt.
- Heat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Place the squash cut-side-down on a large baking pan.
- Using fork, stab the bottom side for four stabs. Bake for 40 until 45 minutes.
- While the spaghetti squash is being cooked, let’s prepare the parsley.
- Grab a handful of parsley (If you don’t use parsley, skip to step 14).
- Pour olive oil on a frying pan. Sauté the parsley and add a pinch of salt. Put it aside.
- Take out the squash and flip, so the marinated side is facing up. Let it cool for 6 minutes.
- Shred the flesh using fork and mix the parsley (if you use) with the spaghetti-like flesh.
- You can serve the spaghetti squash on a plate or using the rind.
- Now, place the butter on top of it and strew the cheese (if you use it)
For your information, the calorie per ½ squash is 140 calories. Cheese, chilled butter, and parsley are excluded. If you use three additional ingredients above, the calories might be 200 or more. The flesh should have bright color depending on spaghetti squash variety you chose. To help you cut the squash, use a towel to make it steady and use heavy big knife. You can also use microwave in case you don’t have oven. Pour water for 1 inch deep and microwave for 12 minutes. This is the easier and quickest way in cooking spaghetti squash. However, oven gives the better result.
In addition, after cooking spaghetti squash, you might want to have some side dishes. You can have omelet, salad, or toast bread. In addition, for the beverages, a cup of tea or a glass of orange squash is fine. It is all up to your preference.
This simple dish is perfect for those who want to lose some weight by not adding additional ingredients and have original taste. It can be served at breakfast, dinner, and any occasions. Such a simple way of making healthy dish, isn’t it? Well, just try cooking spaghetti squash at home.