Ham and potato soup is a perfect choice for dinner. With delicious ham and potatoes, it is ready to warm your stomach. This soup is not only delicious, but also has lots of nutrition needed by the body. Making this soup is not hard. The ingredients are easy to get as well. If you are interested to make this soup at home, here is the recipe for you.
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled then diced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1 ½ cups cooked ham, diced
- 1 cup carrot, peeled then diced
- 1/3 cup plain flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 2 tsp chicken Bouillon
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- To make this ham and potato soup, first you need to prepare a pot. Heat the butter there in medium heat. Next, sauté the onions, celery, and carrots for about 4 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Secondly, add the potatoes and ham. Cook them for about two minutes before adding the garlic. Sauté them all for about 30 seconds, or until they are fragrant.
- Third, mix the flour through around 2 minutes.
- After that, stir in the broth or stock and the bouillon. Mix all the ingredients well. You may need to increase the heat for boiling them. Cook them for about 10 up to 12 minutes. Then, reduce the heat to medium low.
- Add the milk and stir them over the heat. Continue stirring for about 5 minutes until it gets thickened. Taste it first to make sure it matches your preference. You can add salt and pepper if you desired.
- Finally, pour it into a serving bowl and delicious ham and potato soup is ready to be enjoyed.
To make a ham and potato soup, you need chicken broth. If you want to make it simpler, you can just use a ham broth as well from the leftover ham bone. First, you need to simmer the ham bone in a pot. Fill it with enough water, make sure it covers halfway of the bone. Boil it and close the lid. Let simmer until it is fragrant. You need to cook it forabout1hour. After that, discard the ham bone and use the water to replace the chicken broth.
For the tips, first let’s talk about the soup thickness. If you feel it is too thick when you have done cooking, you can add more milk until you get your desired consistency. On the contrary, if you want to make it thicker, you can add 1 tbsp of cornstarch and 2 tbsp of extra milk. Boil the soup for a few minutes and stir it well. It is possible to repeat this tip until you can get your desired thickness for this ham and potato soup.