When you want to have good dish with great taste, homemade sloppy joes can be your good option. Instead of taking common burgers, you can combine the beef or replace with sloppy joes. It is one of popular dishes that actually can be served in various ways. Having buns is one of the good options. If you are interested to make the menu, there is good recipe to follow. You do not need to worry about the steps since it will be easy to make.
- 1½ pounds extra lean ground beef
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 1½ teaspoons salt for the seasoning
- ½ onion, cut into dices
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup of water
- 1 green pepper, cut into dices
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Get a large skillet. Then add the onion and ground beef on it. Use the medium heat to cook these ingredients.
- Do not forget to stir them until the beef is fully cooked and form small crumbles of meat. Usually it will take around 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and green bell pepper on the skillet. Cook them and do not forget to stir them occasionally. Do it for around 2 up to 3 minutes.
- Add the water to the skillet and stir them. Use the water to dissolve the pan, especially the bottom so all ingredients do not get attached to the pan.
- Once the water starts boiling, add the ketchup, brown sugar, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and the Dijon mustard. Add also another cup of water. Stir the ingredients. Then, reduce the heat and simmer it.
- Do not forget to stir since the ingredients may get attached to the pan. Wait until the liquid evaporates. It will make the mixture get thickened. It will take around 40 minutes.
- Add the salt and black pepper to get better flavor. Do not forget to add also the cayenne pepper.
- Serve it with bun.
Basically, it is very easy to make homemade sloppy joes. However, it will take some times since you have to wait for the liquid to evaporate and get thickened. Moreover, you have to be careful with the mixture since you have to stir them up. The other points are easy to do as long as you pay attention to the measurement of ingredients and the details of steps.
In serving, it is good to use buns. For your recommendation, it is better to toast the bun first before adding the sloppy joes. You can toast for some minutes with vegetable oil. It will make the bun softer and fluffier. Of course, it is perfect once you add the homemade sloppy joes on the bun. If you love burgers, add the beef, cheese, and the sloppy joes become the sauce.
When you do not want to use the buns for serving this dish, it can be good sauce for waffle fries. Then, it will be great combination when you have melted cheese. It surely gives the stronger taste, and you will not regret the homemade sloppy joes with cheese.