Indian fry bread is a classic Navajo recipe that has been around for decades. People love eating and making the bread because they are obviously delicious and very easy to make. It requires only a few ingredients and they do not need to be cooked up in the oven. You do not even need to use hand mixer or electric mixer to make the bread.
Here is the full recipe to make Indian fry bread. This recipe has been modified quite a bit to add more flavor and texture to the bread. It is using yogurt to get that purpose. If you do not like yogurt or cannot eat one, feel free to leave it out of the recipe.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, shifted
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, left in room temperature
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- Vegetable oil to fry
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Prepare a large mixing bowl, into the bowl, mix together all-purpose flour, salt, and baking powder until they are all well-combined. Set it aside.
- In another bowl, combine plain yogurt, water, and olive oil. Use balloon whisker to mix them all together.
- Slowly pour the liquid mixture into the bowl of dry ingredient mixture. Mix all ingredients until they are well combined and form dough.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let it rest for 30 minutes.
- While waiting for the dough to rest, prepare a working surface. Sprinkle some flour on the working surface to prevent the dough from sticking.
- After 30 minutes, transfer the dough from the bowl onto the working surface. Knead the dough for 3-5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal parts. Form each part of the dough into a ball and then flatten the ball into flat bread shape.
- Prepare a nonstick frying pan. Pour vegetable oil up to 1/2 of the pan’s height. Heat the oil up and fry the Indian fry bread.
- The bread should be done when they are golden brown and a little bit bubbly on the surface.
- Serve with toppings. Both sweet and savory toppings work well with the bread.
The recommended toppings to be eaten with the bread are basically anything. The bread is quite neutral in flavor. It is just very mild and delicious. If you want to top it off with chocolate shavings and whipped cream, it is totally fine. Other sweet toppings, including berries and bananas with maple syrup are also great.
The popular topping for the bread is more to the savory side, though. People love using the bread as pizza base where they throw some marinara sauce, pepperoni, and some mozzarella cheese on top. Many people also love to use the bread as taco base. They top it off with guacamole, salsa mix, and refried beans.
Feel free to go according to your preference in eating the Indian fry bread. It is still going to be totally delicious no matter what toppings you put on top.