If you have some rice leftover, using it to make stuffed pepper recipe will be a great idea to try. Just add some simple ingredients you have in your kitchen, and you will be able to magically turn the rice into delicious dish for the next mealtime. Stuffed peppers are not hard to make. You just need 20 minutes of preparation and let it be cooked for about 1hour. Here is the recipe.
- 1 pound beef, lean ground
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drain the water
- 8 medium bell peppers
- 1 ½ cups cooked rice
- 1 cup Italian blend cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Scallions, sliced thinly (optional, for garnish)
- To begin making this stuffed pepper recipe, the first step is heating the oven. Prepare a baking dish and set a rack at the middle of your oven. Set your oven to 375 degrees (Fahrenheit).
- While waiting for the oven to get heated, prepare the peppers and make the filling.
- Take a small sharp knife and carefully cut the peppers. Make a wide circle on the pepper stem. It is similar to when you are going to make jacko lantern. Just remove the tops.
- Start seasoning the inside by using pepper and salt as you like.
- Put the peppers in the baking dish. Set aside. If there is any stem at the top, discard them. You can cut them in dice and use it for the filling later.
- Now, let’s make the filling for this stuffed pepper recipe. Prepare a frying pan and heat the oil there. Add the onion and sauté it. Give some salt to taste and stir well. Next, add the garlic and Italian seasoning. Cook until they are fragrant.
- After that, add the ground beef, salt, and the pepper tops. Cook for about 6 minutes in medium to high heat. Next, remove from the heat then add the drained tomatoes and rice. Season it with pepper and salt to meet your taste preference.
- Then, stuff the filing to the prepared bell peppers. Divide the filling evenly first. Have some cheese for a sprinkle at the top of the peppers when you have done doing the filling.
- Pour a cup of water to the baking dish and bake them. Do not forget to spray a large sheet by using cooking spray and have it to cover the baking dish. 1 hour is enough to bake the pepper. Make sure that the peppers have soft texture with heated through filling.
- Finally, sprinkle the peppers with some scallions and delicious stuffed pepper is ready to be served.
It is possible to make the stuff the peppers one day ahead. Just make sure you give additional 10 minutes when baking it. For the leftovers, you can store it in the fridge for 4 days. Keep it only in tight container and this stuffed pepper recipe will still taste good.