This may be the best gumbo recipe you can ever have in the world. Remember that this recipe uses seafood ingredients. If you have allergy, you can replace it with others that suit your liking. Regarding the recipe, it has spicy kick that is very great. You can adjust the spicy taste if it is too much. Let’s get started.
- 2 pounds fresh large shrimp, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup of butter, divided
- 32 ounces or 2 cartons of chicken broth
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup of celery, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 12 ounces or 1 bottle amber beer
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup of green onion tops
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Let’s make this best gumbo recipe. First thing to do is to peel and devein the shrimps. Later on, set aside the shrimp shells. Place the shrimps in the refrigerator.
- In a large pot you have prepared, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add the shrimp and cook them until it gets pink.
- Add broth and boil. Reduce the heat and simmer it for 15 minutes. That’s enough and set it aside for now.
- Get a large Dutch oven. Cook sausage using it until browned. Remove the sausage using a slotted spoon and set it aside.
- Add oil into the Dutch oven and other 1/4 cup butter. Melt the butter.
- Next, add the flour and stir until it gets smooth.
- Use medium-low heat and continue to cook. Still the mixture frequently. This is the roux that is essential in this recipe. You need to get dark caramel color. It may take 30-40 minutes.
- Cook chopped onion for about 5 minutes. Stir it frequently.
- Now add celery and green pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes. In this state, stir them more frequent.
- Add minced garlic and cook for another 1 minute.
- As mentioned in the list of ingredients for this best gumbo recipe, there is beer. It’s time to add the beer and stir well.
- Now pour the shrimp and add the bay leaves, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, Cajun seasonings, and sausage. Get it boiled and then reduce the heat, cover it, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Last thing; add shrimp, green onions, and parsley. After the shrimp gets pink, remove the heat and add crabmeat, stir.
It is perfect to have at one fine lazy afternoon. Don’t you agree with that? As mentioned earlier, the roux is not easy to cook. Therefore, be careful during the process. Overall this recipe is not that difficult. Hope you like this best gumbo recipe.